On 20 February 2010, Rovers faced a Gillingham side in a League One clash at the Priestfield Stadium. Rovers had failed to score in their previous six away games, and they came up empty again this time, taking the total number of minutes since scoring away from home to 664.
Rovers were missing four players from the side that had beaten Charlton Athletic 2–1 five days earlier through illness and injury, meaning the squad which was already depleted was now considerably weakened. 20-year-old Charlie Reece started only his second game for The Gas, while first-year pro Elliot Richards made his debut from the bench 72 minutes into the match.
The Gillingham squad featured two former and one future Rovers loanee – Chris Dickson, who had left Rovers just two months earlier, played the full 90 minutes up front, while James Walker was an unused substitute. Walker had spent a month at Rovers in 2006, during The Pirates' promotion campaign of 2006-07, and Rene Howe would go on to join Rovers on loan a year later.
|Jackson (90+2)||(0–0 HT)|
|at KRBS Priestfield Stadium||attendance: 5,302|
|23 Alan Julian||51 Rhys Evans|
|3 John Nutter||32 Aaron Lescott|
|6 Garry Richards||6 Steve Elliott|
|18 Danny Jackman||15 Byron Anthony|
|31 Darren Dennehy||48 Daniel Jones|
|2 Barry Fuller||20 Charlie Reece|
|7 Kevin Maher||16 Dominic Blizzard|
|14 Adam Miller||7 Stuart Campbell|
|26 Curtis Weston||11 Jeff Hughes|
|15 Chris Dickson||8 Andy Williams|
|29 Rene Howe||9 Paul Heffernan|
|1 Simon Royce||27 Mikkel Andersen|
|16 Josh Gowling||2 Carl Regan|
|9 Chris Palmer||25 James Tyrell|
|10 Simeon Jackson||3 Mark Wright|
|11 Andy Barcham||21 Charlie Clough|
|21 Dennis Oli||23 Ben Swallow|
|34 James Walker||28 Elliot Richards|
- 44 mins: Byron Anthony booked for a foul on Curtis Weston.
- 45 mins: John Nutter booked.
- 57 mins: Dennis Oli and Simeon Jackson replaced Rene Howe and Kevin Maher.
- 69 mins: Jeff Hughes booked for a foul on Adam Miller.
- 72 mins: Ben Swallow and Elliot Richards replaced Charlie Reece and Andy Williams.
- 83 mins: Andy Barcham replaced Curtis Weston.
- 90+2 mins: Goal for Gillingham scored by Simeon Jackson.
- 90+3 mins: Barry Fuller booked.