On 24 November 2009 Rovers travelled to The Valley to face Charlton Athletic in a League One fixture. The odds were against the Pirates from the start, not only because they had lost six of their last eight games, but also Rovers hadn't won away to The Addicks since 1958. Ultimately this record was extended further, as Rovers went down 4–2.
Charlton took a two goal lead early on, before a spirited fightback by The Gas pulled the score back to 2–2. Charlton re-asserted their authority however with a further two goals before the end of the game.
|Charlton Athletic||4–2||Bristol Rovers|
Burton (16 pen)
|(2–1 HT)||Hughes (41 pen)|
|at The Valley||attendance: 15,885|
|24 Carl Ikeme||27 Mikkel Andersen|
|3 Kelly Youga||47 Pat Baldwin|
|5 Miguel Ángel Llera||5 Danny Coles|
|6 José Semedo||15 Byron Anthony|
|12 Grant Basey||11 Jeff Hughes|
|35 Christian Dailly||8 Andy Williams|
|4 Nicky Bailey||4 Chris Lines|
|7 Jonjo Shelvey||7 Stuart Campbell|
|11 Lloyd Sam||16 Dominic Blizzard|
|10 Deon Burton||10 Darryl Duffy|
|23 Dave Mooney||17 Jo Kuffour|
|25 Darren Randolph||51 Rhys Evans|
|16 Scott Wagstaff||2 Carl Regan|
|31 Elliot Omozusi||6 Steve Elliott|
|8 Therry Racon||3 Mark Wright|
|14 Matthew Spring||20 Charlie Reece|
|15 Izale McLeod||21 Charlie Clough|
|33 Akpo Sodje||23 Ben Swallow|
- 4 mins: Goal for Charlton scored by David Mooney.
- 15 mins: Pat Baldwin booked for a foul on Miguel Ángel Llera inside the area. Penalty kick awarded.
- 16 mins: Charlton penalty kick converted by Deon Burton.
- 22 mins: Elliot Omozusi replaced Kelly Youga.
- 29 mins: Elliot Omozusi booked for a foul on Darryl Duffy.
- 31 mins: Stuart Campbell booked for a foul on Elliot Omozusi.
- 41 mins: Christian Dailly booked for a foul on Jo Kuffour inside the area. Penalty awarded.
- 41 mins: Bristol Rovers penalty kick converted by Jeff Hughes.
- 56 mins: Goal for Bristol Rovers scored by Chris Lines.
- 65 mins: Lloyd Sam booked for dissent.
- 68 mins: Goal for Charlton scored by Nicky Bailey.
- 73 mins: Ben Swallow replaced Dominic Blizzard.
- 75 mins: Scott Wagstaff replaced Jonjo Shelvey.
- 78 mins: Danny Coles booked for a foul on Deon Burton.
- 83 mins: Chris Lines booked for a foul on Lloyd Sam.
- 83 mins: Akpo Sodje replaced David Mooney.
- 86 mins: Goal for Charlton scored by Akpo Sodje.
- 87 mins: Mark Wright replaced Andy Williams.
- 90+1 mins: Darryl Duffy booked for a foul on Christian Dailly.