On 25 October 2008 Bristol Rovers hosted Southend United in a League One match at the Memorial Stadium. The game was the fourteenth league game of the season, and the sixteenth in all competitions, and proved to be a momentous one for Rickie Lambert, who scored a first half hat-trick and four goals in the game to earn Rovers a 4-2 victory.
First Team Coach Paul Trollope named an almost unchanged starting eleven from the previous match, a 2-0 home win over Oldham Athletic, with the only change being Jo Kuffour replacing Darryl Duffy up front. The changes to the bench were Ryan Green making a comeback to the bench in place of Josh Klein-Davies and Duffy replacing Kuffour, who had been promoted to the starting eleven. The Southend lineup included former Rovers players Adam Barrett, who spent two years at Rovers between 2002 and 2004, and James Walker, who had a loan spell at the Mem in 2006.
Rickie Lambert etched his name into the Rovers record books with the four goals he scored in this game.
- It was the first time a Rovers player had scored a hat-trick since Giuliano Grazioli in the 5-2 win against Shrewsbury Town on 21 September 2002.
- It was the first time a Rovers player scored four in a game since Jamie Cureton in the 6-0 win over Reading on 16 January 2001.
- The first first half hat-trick by a Rovers player since Peter Beadle in the 4-3 win over Bury on 30 November 1996.
|Bristol Rovers||4-2||Southend United|
|Lambert (10, 16, 33, 55)||(3-0 HT)||Clarke (70)|
|at The Memorial Stadium||attendance: 7,055|
|1 Steve Phillips||32 Adam Federici|
|14 David Pipe||15 Osei Sankofa|
|5 Craig Hinton||5 Peter Clarke|
|15 Byron Anthony||6 Adam Barrett|
|32 Aaron Lescott||2 Simon Francis|
|4 Chris Lines||21 Kevin Betsy|
|7 Stuart Campbell||20 Jean-Francois Christophe|
|20 Craig Disley||8 Alan McCormack|
|11 Jeff Hughes||17 Hal Robson-Kanu|
|9 Rickie Lambert||10 James Walker|
|17 Jo Kuffour||11 Alex Revell|
|13 Mike Green||24 Ian Joyce|
|3 Joe Jacobson||26 Francis Laurent|
|18 Ben Hunt||7 Anthony Grant|
|2 Ryan Green||12 Damian Scannell|
|10 Darryl Duffy||30 Stuart O'Keefe|
- 10 mins: Goal for Bristol Rovers scored by Rickie Lambert
- 16 mins: Goal for Bristol Rovers scored by Rickie Lambert
- 33 mins: Goal for Bristol Rovers scored by Rickie Lambert
- 55 mins: Simon Francis booked for a foul on Craig Disley
- 55 mins: Goal for Bristol Rovers scored by Rickie Lambert
- 63 mins: Triple substitution for Southend - Francis Laurent, Damian Scannell, and Anthony Grant replaced James Walker, Kevin Betsy and Alan McCormack
- 70 mins: Goal for Southend United scored by Peter Clarke
- 73 mins: Double substitution for Bristol Rovers - Joe Jacobson and Darryl Duffy replaced Jeff Hughes and Jo Kuffour
- 75 mins: Goal for Southend United scored by Francis Laurent