On Saturday May 26th 2007, Rovers played Shrewsbury Town in the League Two Play-Off Final. Both sides had made the play-offs due to late runs coupled with having many games in hand over the sides above them. This game was the fourth between the sides in the 2006-07 season, Rovers had 2 wins in the three games previous with the other being a draw.
Shrewsbury took an early lead through Stuart Drummond's header after a well placed free kick from Neil Ashton. Rovers got back into the game thanks to a goal from Richard Walker on 21 minutes and took the lead just under 15 minutes later after a wonderful chipped goal, again from Walker.
Both sides had many more chances and as Shrewsbury players, including goalkeeper Chris MacKenzine, piled forward for a late corner, the ball dropped to Sammy Igoe who raced into Shrewsbury's half and slotted the ball home despite a valiant chase by Derek Asahmoah. Bristol Rovers were back in the third tier of English football for the first time in six years.
|Bristol Rovers||3-1||Shrewsbury Town|
|Walker (21, 35)|
|(2-1 HT)||Drummond (3)|
|at Wembley Stadium||attendance: 61,589|
|1 Steve Phillips||21 Chris MacKenzie|
|2 Ryan Green||2 Daniel Hall|
|11 Chris Carruthers||3 Neil Ashton|
|5 Byron Anthony||5 Richard Hope|
|6 Steve Elliott||12 Ben Herd|
|4 Sammy Igoe||23 Marc Tierney|
|26 Lewis Haldane||10 Derek Asahmoah|
|7 Stuart Campbell||4 Stuart Drummond|
|20 Craig Disley||24 Michael Symes|
|9 Rickie Lambert||8 Kevin Langmead|
|10 Richard Walker||9 Andrew Cooke|
|31 Mike Green||1 Ryan Esson|
|32 Aaron Lescott||28 Sagi Burton|
|17 Andy Sandell||18 Steven Leslie|
|22 Chris Lines||22 Chris Humphrey|
|27 Sean Rigg||29 Leo Fortune-West|
- 3 mins: Goal for Shrewsbury scored by Stuart Drummond.
- 21 mins: Goal for Rovers scored by Richard Walker.
- 35 mins: Goal for Rovers scored by Richard Walker.
- 64 mins: Substitution for Rovers - Lewis Haldane replaced by Sean Rigg.
- 69 mins: Stuart Campbell booked for Rovers - unsporting behaviour. Andrew Cooke booked for Shrewsbury - unsporting behaviour.
- 73 mins: Substitution for Shrewsbury - Andrew Cooke replaced by Chris Humphrey.
- 80 mins: Substitution for Shrewsbury - Michael Symes replaced by Leo Fortune-West.
- 84 mins: Substitution for Shrewsbury - Ben Herd replaced by Sagi Burton.
- 85 mins: Marc Tierney booked for Shrewsbury - Dissent. Richard Walker booked for Rovers - Dissent.
- 89 mins: Marc Tierney sent off for a second bookable offences, a foul on Stuart Campbell.
- 90 mins: Goal for Rovers scored by Sammy Igoe.
- This was the first Football League match to be played at the new Wembley Stadium.
- Rovers joined Premier League side Chelsea as the only two sides to have played at the Millennium Stadium and Wembley Stadium in the same season.
- Richard Walker became the second player to have scored at the Millennium Stadium and Wembley Stadium in the same season behind Chelsea's Didier Drogba. Sammy Igoe became the third.
- Rovers were, and remain, the club to have taken more fans to Wembley Stadium than any other (Around 40,000).
- 61,589 is a record attendance for the fourth tier play off match.