Bristol Rovers' first and only FA Cup match of the 2009-10 season came on 6 November 2009, when fellow League One side Southampton came to the Memorial Stadium. Southampton were eager for revenge, both for their 3–2 loss at the hands of the Pirates just over a month earlier, and also for getting knocked out of the Cup at the 5th round stage in 2008, when a Rickie Lambert free kick earned Rovers a 1–0 victory.
Rovers came into the match on the back of a five game losing streak, stretching back to the beginning of October. In fact, the 3–2 win at St Mary's at the end of September was the last time the Gas had avoided defeat in a match. Manager Paul Trollope was unable to bring about a change in fortunes in this fixture however, and although the team provided a spirited fightback from 3–0 down to make it 3–2, it wasn't enough, and the Pirates were condemned to their sixth consecutive defeat.
Hughes (pen 90+2)
|(0–0 HT)||Connolly (63, 68)|
|at Memorial Stadium||attendance: 6,446|
|51 Rhys Evans||1 Kelvin Davis|
|2 Carl Regan||2 Dan Harding|
|6 Steve Elliott||3 Wayne Thomas|
|15 Byron Anthony||6 Radhi Jaïdi|
|11 Jeff Hughes||23 Lloyd James|
|8 Andy Williams||14 Dean Hammond|
|4 Chris Lines||19 Morgan Schneiderlin|
|7 Stuart Campbell||37 Michail Antonio|
|3 Mark Wright||38 David Connolly|
|16 Dominic Blizzard||7 Rickie Lambert|
|17 Jo Kuffour||20 Adam Lallana|
|46 Rob Holmes||28 Bartosz Białkowski|
|20 Charlie Reece||5 Chris Perry|
|21 Charlie Clough||18 Joseph Mills|
|23 Ben Swallow||10 Paul Wotton|
|31 Mark Cooper||11 Lee Holmes|
|10 Darryl Duffy||29 Oscar Gobern|
|18 Ben Hunt||9 Papa Waigo N'Diaye|
- 41 mins: Andy Williams booked for a foul on Dan Harding.
- 44 mins: Dan Harding booked for a foul on Jo Kuffour.
- 63 mins: Goal for Southampton scored by David Connolly.
- 67 mins: Double substitution for Bristol Rovers – Ben Swallow and Darryl Duffy replaced Mark Wright and Dominic Blizzard.
- 68 mins: Goal for Southampton scored by David Connolly.
- 70 mins: Goal for Southampton scored by Michail Antonio.
- 73 mins: Oscar Gobern replaced Dan Harding.
- 73 mins: Goal for Bristol Rovers scored by Darryl Duffy.
- 78 mins: Oscar Gobern booked for a foul on Andy Williams.
- 79 mins: Double substitution for Southampton – Joseph Mills and Paul Wotton replaced Michail Antonio and David Connolly.
- 81 mins: Radhi Jaïdi booked for a foul on Jo Kuffour.
- 90+2 mins: Goal for Bristol Rovers scored from the penalty spot by Jeff Hughes, following a foul on Jo Kuffour by Oscar Gobern.
- 90+3 mins: Kelvin Davis booked.