The game saw the debut of loanee Paul Heffernan, who had joined on loan from Doncaster Rovers the previous day. A number of injuries to key squad members meant the Rovers lineup was down to the bare bones, with all fit senior players in the starting lineup and an extremely inexperienced bench, which featured three players yet to make their first team debuts.
Walsall took the lead early on through Richard Taundry, and although Rovers won a penalty in the second half, it was saved by Saddlers 'keeper Clayton Ince. The final attempt on goal in this game went to Rovers goalie Mikkel Andersen who had come up for a corner, but his header went wide of the target.
|(0–1 HT)||Taundry (32)|
|at The Memorial Stadium||attendance: 5,919|
|27 Mikkel Andersen||1 Clayton Ince|
|6 Steve Elliott||3 Netan Sansara|
|15 Byron Anthony||14 Richard Taundry|
|11 Jeff Hughes||16 Darryl Westlake|
|3 Mark Wright||19 Jamie Vincent|
|7 Stuart Campbell||28 Clayton McDonald|
|16 Dominic Blizzard||8 Dwayne Mattis|
|26 Wayne Brown||18 Peter Till|
|8 Andy Williams||20 Matt Richards|
|9 Paul Heffernan||10 Troy Deeney|
|17 Jo Kuffour||11 Alex Nicholls|
|51 Rhys Evans||21 Rene Gilmartin|
|20 Charlie Reece||5 Mark Hughes|
|21 Charlie Clough||12 Mark Bradley|
|23 Ben Swallow||15 Josh O'Keefe|
|25 James Tyrell||25 Sean Geddes|
|28 Elliot Richards||22 Will Grigg|
|31 Mark Cooper||27 Darren Byfield|
- 9 mins: Jamie Vincent booked for a foul on Andy Williams.
- 12 mins: Byron Anthony booked for a foul on Alex Nicholls.
- 32 mins: Goal for Walsall scored by Richard Taundry.
- 43 mins: Wayne Brown is injured and replaced by Charlie Reece.
- 56 mins: Dwayne Mattis booked for a foul on Jeff Hughes.
- 62 mins: Ben Swallow replaced Mark Wright.
- X 81 mins: Clayton Ince saved a Jeff Hughes penalty, awarded for a foul by Jamie Vincent on Jo Kuffour inside the area.