There have been two football clubs called Accrington Stanley, both of which have provided opposition for Rovers. The original club was formed in 1891, and played in The Football League from when they were founder members of Division Three (North) in 1921 until they resigned from the league in 1962. They were eventually liquidated in 1966. The current incarnation was formed from the ashes of the original in 1968, two years after they had folded, and were eventually promoted into the Football League in 2006.
Rovers faced the original Accrington Stanley twice, both times in the FA Cup, once in 1929 and the other in 1933, and the games resulted in one victory for each club. It wasn't until 2006 that the re-born Stanley met Rovers, which was during their first season in The Football League. In all Rovers and the new Stanley have met six times, with two wins for Rovers and three for accrington.
- Last meeting: 20 April 2013 – Bristol Rovers 0–1 Accrington Stanley
- Biggest win: 28 April 2012 – Bristol Rovers 5–1 Accrington Stanley
- Heaviest defeat: 5 November 2011 – Accrington Stanley 2–1 Bristol Rovers
- Highest aggregate score: 28 April 2012 – Bristol Rovers 5–1 Accrington Stanley
1This match was played against the original incarnation of Accrington Stanley, not the current, re-formed club.
Players at both clubsEdit
Some of the players who have been on the books of both Bristol Rovers and Accrington Stanley are listed below.
- John Black played for the original Stanley in 1924 and Rovers between 1930 and 1932.
- John Howshall played for Rovers in 1937 and the original Accrington in 1938.
- Joe Jacobson was loaned to both Rovers and Accrington by Cardiff City before joining Rovers permanently in 2007. He later went on loan to Accrington for a second time in 2010 before signing for them in 2011.
- Bill Pickering joined the original Accrington Stanley from Rovers in 1937
All competitive meetings between Bristol Rovers and either incarnation of Accrington Stanley are listed in the table below.
|14 December 19291||FA Cup||Bristol Rovers||4–1||Accrington Stanley|
|9 December 19331||FA Cup||Accrington Stanley||1–0||Bristol Rovers|
|23 December 2006||League Two||Bristol Rovers||4–0||Accrington Stanley|
|2 March 2007||League Two||Accrington Stanley||1–1||Bristol Rovers|
|5 November 2011||League Two||Accrington Stanley||2–1||Bristol Rovers|
|28 April 2012||League Two||Bristol Rovers||5–1||Accrington Stanley|
|27 October 2012||League Two||Accrington Stanley||1–0||Bristol Rovers|
|20 April 2013||League Two||Bristol Rovers||0–1||Accrington Stanley|
1These matches were played against the original incarnation of Accrington Stanley, not the current, re-formed club.