On 2 September 2008, Rovers took on AFC Bournemouth in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy. Paul Trollope made just one change from the previous game with Ryan Green making his first appearance for nearly a year replacing David Pipe who was ill. Tom Parrinello replaced Andy Williams, who'd joined Hereford United, on the bench. The Cherries included ex-gashead Sammy Igoe.
Bournemouth were the team who'd knocked Rovers out of the competition the previous season and had beaten Rovers three times in three games.
Despite being a division below and having sacked their manager the previous night, Bournemouth ran out easy winners, with Sammy Igoe scoring in his first game against his former club.
|AFC Bournemouth||3-0||Bristol Rovers|
|at Fitness First Stadium||attendance: 2,220|
|1 Shwan Jalal||1 Steve Phillips|
|28 Warren Cummings||2 Ryan Green|
|5 Jason Pearce||15 Byron Anthony|
|4 Shaun Cooper||6 Steve Elliott|
|23 Lee Bradbury||32 Aaron Lescott|
|14 Danny Hollands||4 Chris Lines|
|8 Darren Anderton||7 Stuart Campbell|
|7 Sammy Igoe||20 Craig Disley|
|11 Scott Wagstaff||11 Jeff Hughes|
|9 Brett Pitman||9 Rickie Lambert|
|16 Jeff Goulding||10 Darryl Duffy|
|13 Ryan Pryce||13 Mike Green|
|22 Joe Partingdon||5 Craig Hinton|
|17 Josh McQuoid||18 Ben Hunt|
|6 Marvyn Bartley||19 Sean Rigg|
|15 Joel Ward||21 Tom Parrinello|
- 38 mins: Goal for Bournemouth - Scored by Jeff Goulding.
- 61 mins: Substitution for Bristol Rovers - Jeff Hughes replaced by Sean Rigg.
- 63 mins: Substitution for Bournemouth - Jeff Goulding replaced by Josh McQuoid.
- 67 mins: Goal for Bournemouth - Scored by Sammy Igoe.
- 72 mins: Substitution for Bristol Rovers - Darryl Duffy replaced by Ben Hunt.
- 76 mins: Goal for Bournemouth - Scored by Danny Hollands.
- 77 mins: Substitution for Bournemouth - Darren Anderton replaced by Marvyn Bartley. Substitution for Bristol Rovers - Ryan Green replaced by Craig Hinton.
- 80 mins: Byron Anthony booked for a foul on Marvyn Bartley.
- 83 mins: Substitution for Bournemouth - Sammy Igoe replaced by Joe Partingdon.